Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Power of Music

It's amazing how much music conveys.  It has such power over us.  Majority of the time we don't even realize it.

Yesterday I listened to the new Beastie Boys album.  I felt like a little kid.

See, 'License to Ill' was my first album.  So I kinda grew up with the Beastie Boys.  Long car rides, while shooting hoops, Madison Square Garden... They were there, and so was I.

As I was "attempting" to work.  I felt like a kid again hearing them for the very first time.  I smiled from ear to ear as I listened to the whole album.

I loved it.

Hell, even as I'm writing this on my iPhone, I'm listening to them. The song is 'Grattitude' if you were wondering.

I don't care how broke I might be.  I'll always get their new album, or see their show.  Why? Because of what it does for me.

Music is my drug, and these guys are the best.  Also, they're more like 'Beastie Middle Aged Men'.  They won't be around forever.  So I want to enjoy them as much as possible.

This may be sidetracking a little, but what the hell.

I've played bass guitar for about 11 years.  Majority of that time I've been in a band.  Well, up until recently that is.

My last show was the week of my birthday, as an extra bonus, it was at my favorite bar.  We were going to cover 'Sabotage' by The Beastie Boys!!!!  It ended up being a dream come true.  Not at first though.  Nope.  It started off as a nightmare.

I was excited and pumped to do it. I met up with the other guys for practice, and right away they said there was a problem with the song.

I got defensive right away.  "Come on guys we have to.  It'll be awesome", I said. 

My one guitar player said, "It’s not that we don't want to do it, it's well, too high pitch, I can't sing it." explained my friend.  I turned to my other guitar player, "same for me too", he said.  Confused and not sure where the conversation was going. I asked, " Well who's going to sing it?"

All three of them blankly looked at me.

ME!  ME!  I was the answer apparently! 

I didn't know what to say.  They kept reassuring me that I can do it.  I said okay, but I didn't really believe what I said.

See, my ability to sing, is at best, well, shitty.  I once described my singing ability as, "When I sing, Angels fall dead out of the sky". 

But this was different.  I had a bigger reason to practice.  This was a once in a lifetime experience for me.  The ultimate Birthday/Going-Away gift. 

I practiced like crazy.

The night of the performance.

We finished the song previous to “Sabotage.”  My heart was already thumping like crazy.  My guitar player explained that it was my birthday to the crowd.

All eyes were on me. I realized this was my moment,  and I was ready for it.

I cracked a joke at my guitar players expense. The crowd laughed, and it helped me a little.  I announced how for my birthday that I wanted to play my favorite song ever.  So here it is...."SABOTAGE"!!!!!

What took weeks of practicing...was over in a few minutes.  But I wouldn't trade those few minutes for anything.  The crowd was into it, the guy on the turntable was amazing, and I didn't screw up.

I got a great ovation once it was over.  Luckily I was also treated to a shot.  Which helped my heart rate slow down before it exploded.

Music can help you in so many ways.  There isn't an emotion it doesn't relate to.  Also, it's helped me forge some amazing friendships.  Friendships that will last a lifetime.

It truly is a big part of me.  So much so, that I can't wait to teach my kid guitar one day.

As you go through life, remember.  Take the time to truly take in your genre of music, if you ever get a chance; play in a band, and lastly, remember to turn up the volume.


No comments:

Post a Comment