Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I'm With The Band

It's easily second nature by now.  I don't have to think; muscle memory pretty much takes over, and goes from there.  It's almost like putting my shoes on.  I don't have to think about how to lace up my sneakers.  I just do it.

I've been playing bass guitar since the summer of 2000.  Don't think that means anything though because, well, I still think I suck.  Until I can pull off songs from 'Primus' or 'Red Hot Chili Peppers' with ease, I'll never be happy.

This past weekend I played a 'Green Day' cover show at my favorite bar.  People said the show was great, and that I sounded like their records, but I wasn't happy about it.

I always played songs in bands with people that loved 'Green Day'.  Personally they're good and all, but I'm nowhere near a diehard fan.  So I'm EXTREMELY burnt out on them. 

Also, playing shows is much harder than it used to be.  I'm moving soon, looking for a new job and trying to be financially responsible.  All things that make it difficult to play in any type of band.

So I've decided that it’s time to retire.  No more bands.  No more gigs. No more lugging heavy-ass equipment.

So of course, I had to reflect on my time as bass player for several bands.  I had some ups, and of course some downs.  If you asked me if it was worth it, I'd say, "FUCK YEAH IT WAS!"

Bottom line, EVERYONE should be in a band at least once in their life.

The experience and memories are utterly priceless.  We all deserve the high of performing on stage, the thrill of recording something you created, and especially the rush when people cheer you on.

Besides the thrill, I really think playing in a band is beneficial for anyone.  I don't have stage fright, I've met a lot of great people who I'm great friend's with, and it's helped with my creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment