Friday, May 20, 2011

Something Strange, and It Don't Look Good

There's something strange, and it don't look good, so who you gonna call?

Um...somebody else apparently.

Due to major budget issues, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is looking to close 20 firehouses.  One of which, is the famous Tribeca firehouse from the hit comedy "Ghostbusters".

My response upon hearing this news was a very immature, "NOOOOOOO THEY CAN'T"!

If you're a product of the 80's, there's a very good chance, like myself, that you grew up on the Ghostbusters movies and cartoons.  It symbolizes a great time in life.  An innocent/carefree time when you're biggest concern was watching Saturday morning cartoons.

After reminiscing about Ghostbusters with co-workers for 5-minutes, I figured I should read into the story.

The mayor is advocating that it'll save about $30 million dollars in the budget.  Money New York desperately needs to recoup on.

Residents are calling the possible move asinine.  They say closing 20 houses in the biggest terror target in the county is the wrong move.  The closing will cause people to die...Bottom line.

I finished reading several articles, and thought it over for a while.  I had trouble deciding if this was a good move or not.  See, like one hit wonder Natalie Imbruglia, I was torn (yes, I stole this awesome line from the show scrubs).

With so many factors, I wasn't sure which was the right move.  Then it became obvious.

I pictured myself as someone who's never watched Ghostbusters (which should be a crime), living outside the NYC area, looked at the high volume of calls the FDNY gets & reviewed Mayor Mike’s track record of spending.

The answer is simple. 

All 20 firehouses need to stay open.  It's not worth gambling someone's life with.  In a post 9/11 era, the closing of NYC firehouses should never be considered (unless it's for possible upgrades).

Hey Mayor Mike!
Be realistic and look at your real options according to New Yorkers.
I think everyone would prefer saving their local firehouse, over the millions of tax payer dollars you decided to spend on eating habits.

2 comments:

  1. "I pictured myself as someone who's never watched Ghostbusters (which should be a crime), living outside the NYC area, looked at the high volume of calls the FDNY gets & reviewed Mayor Mike’s track record of spending."
    "The answer is simple.

    All 20 firehouses need to stay open"


    Why would anyone who lives outside of NYC care about 20 obsolete, single apparatus fire stations? Obviously you have no experience in the EMS system. It's called allocating resources from low volume call areas and utilizing them in different locations.

    Who cares about the Ghostbusters station? Did I cry when they moved the Rocky statue in Philly from on top of the steps to the bottom around the corner? No. It's a movie. Fiction. Ghostbusters? Not real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so here is everything in order from your post.
    - I phrase it as "living outside the NYC area", so I looked at it at a third person standpoint. To properly gauge any situation, it has always helped me by seeing it from a neutral set of eyes.
    -I've never worked in NYC hospitals/EMS systems, but I have in Jersey. All the systems worked together as a team. We helped each other out a lot.
    - Who cares about the Ghostbusters station? Lots of people. That's why it helped spread the actual concern here. Not that a NYC movie landmark may close, but a larger concern. The fact that the NYC budget is getting any better, and that they need to make big cuts. Cuts that will close something very important...firehouses...an imperative part of a service people rely on.

    ReplyDelete