Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Amazing, Uncanny, Incredible Problem In The Comic World

I have a secret.  I don't tell many people about it, but it's something I've been a part of for many years.  It’s hard for me to actually tell you this. So I'm just going to say it....I read comic books.

THERE, YOU HAPPY NOW!  
You know my deepest darkest secret.

I've been a marvel comic reader since well, I started to read.  What's strange looking back at it is the fact I was a Spider-Man fan before then.

Spider-Man had a short-lived (and god awful) live action television show in the late 70's. A friend of the family worked on the show for promotions.  She gave, little me, tons of posters, comics and Spider-Man toys years later.  I've been hooked on it ever since.

About 98% of the books I've read over my lifetime have been from Marvel.  It's not that I hate DC, Image or other labels, it's just that I couldn't afford getting into their story lines.  (and this was well before graphic novels)

For anyone who ever collected comics, let me tell ya, it can get expensive.  So I decided to stay in my wheel house, and venture off for certain stand alone non-marvel comic series, when I felt like it.  

But this bit of comic news bothered me.

DC will start selling comics digitally and restart the numbers to their main books back at #1.

I see pros and cons for selling books digitally. 

We live in a digital age, so I can understand the business model for wanting to survive.  However, digital copies will undoubtedly hurt local comic stores.  In fact, they're the only ones who will lose from it.  Unless Diamond (distributor of comic books) gives better deals to shops, I don't see how they benefit.

As for the renumbering, as an overall comic book fan, this is painful.

Again let me reiterate this.  Even though I'm a lifelong Marvel fan, I have total respect for DC and think highly of them.

That being said, can't DC do something else to raise comic sales?  This may help sales in the short term (maybe 4-6 months), but I don't see how it will last long-term.

I always admired DC for their issue numbers.  Their big books are in the 900's & 800's, that's amazing.  Superman #1 came out in June 1939.  It's currently at number 901.

Let's review.  Over that time we've...
- had 23 Olympic games
- had 13 presidents
- added 2 states to our country

I always looked at those issues as the staple of the comic world (pun intended).

The fact Spider-Man re-launched in 1999 and later on came out 3 times a month, killed the awesomeness of its high numbering.  

Same thing happened to Fantastic-Four & Daredevil to name a few.  Of the Marvel main stream books, only Uncanny X-men hasn't re-numbered their series.  But that's kind of tainted since they had about 5 years of reprints.

I know DC has to think about shareholders first before fans.  I get that.  
But this decision is a mistake.  Even if they go back to the old numbering.  Fans will put an asterisk next to it in their mind.  With so many high paid, top ranking people, can't they think of another idea.

But am I making a big deal about this, or is my old comic collecting habits kicking in?  The nostalgia of numbering may be dead to others, but a part of me just loves it. What are your thoughts?

For those who think my idea is completely ridiculous and stupid.  Please, watch the following video...



No comments:

Post a Comment