Thursday, June 9, 2011

Being The Better Person

I'm not saying this in a bragging sorta way, but I have a good breakup with an ex-girlfriend story.  Her actions, and the way she broke up with me, made her look like a total heartless bitch.

What were my actions during that time?  I can honestly say, that I never said derogatory things about her, and I also told my friends not to give her a hard time.

Why you ask?  Because I wanted to be a bigger person, and guess what...I WAS!

She was digging herself into a deeper and deeper hole of shit.  Meanwhile, I looked down at her and shook my ahead. 

I'm giving you the cliff note version of the story, but again, I'm not bragging.  I'm only pointing out that people are capable of being a bigger/better person while times are tough.

I mention this because a breakup is in the news, and it's not in Hollywood.

A New Mexico man wanted to get back at his ex-girlfriend.  He did so in a very big and public way.

The man rented billboard space.  On the billboard it shows him holding the outline of an infant.  The text reads, "This Would Have Been A Picture Of My 2-Month Old Baby If The Mother Had Decided To Not KILL Our Child!"

Now the man says this is freedom of speech.

The woman says she had a miscarriage, and the billboard invades her right to privacy.

I didn't bring this story up to side with one party or the other. 

We have the right to do many things in America.  We're free, that's something some people in this world will never know.

But just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean you should or have to do it!

If I wanted to be an asshole, trust me, I could've.  Hell I had keys to her place.  The possibilities were endless.

But what did I do?  Nothing, that's what.

All I did was write to her father (whom I was really close with), and not take care of myself (a shameful blog for another day).

I'm sure there is a lot more, personal information, the article doesn't talk about.  In the meantime, let's look at both sides of the coin here.

Let's say she had a miscarriage:
No way around it, this guy might be the biggest prick in North America.  Possibly this side of the Milky Way galaxy.  I think that sums it up.

Let's say she had an abortion:
He's either hurting because he didn't become a father, or for her breaking up with him.   But is what he did okay in a moral sense?  I'd have to say, no.

Spend time with friends/family, go to religious services or just take time off.  I didn't say or do anything, because I was partly afraid of doing something I'd regret later on.  Emotions run wild while in the heat of the moment. 

What's done is done.  He can't take the billboard back.  Also, he can't change what his friends, family or co-workers now think of him.  Furthermore, I have a feeling this will eventually bite this guy in the ass.  After all, would you date anyone that posted a billboard of what's possibly you're darker secret?  Now he'll really be alone.

If you want to see the billboard, click on the following link...




No comments:

Post a Comment