Friday, June 10, 2011

Feel Good Story From The Diamond

Million dollar contracts, steroids, and who's dating which celebrity.

When it comes to sports, those are the headlines non-sporting fans usually read.

Of course there's more news that goes on with sporting teams.  It's just not considered newsworthy enough.

But I wanted to talk about a real classy move the Major League Baseball team Texas Rangers made.

This week, MLB is hosting its draft.

In it, the Rangers made a great move by drafting University of Georgia outfielder Johnathan Taylor in the 33rd round.

Now if you're a sporting fan, you know the phrase "great move" is never heard in the 33rd round. For that matter, who knew a 33rd round even existed!

See, the thing is that Taylor has been paralyzed since March, and has a chance of never walking again.  He has two fractured vertebrae after colliding with teammate Zach Cone.

Cone was selected in the 2nd round by the Rangers.  As a nice gesture, the Rangers selected Taylor.

As you can imagine, the two friends were ecstatic. Taylor heard the news while doing physical therapy, and the two were laughing and enjoying the moment on the phone.

I tore a tendon in my foot, which occasionally gives me problems, and it drives me nuts.  So I can only imagine how rough it's been for Taylor.
Reports say he continues to be in high spirits, but I'm sure he has his rough moments.  Hopefully being drafted helps him long term.  A little motivation goes a long way.

As for the Rangers, what can I say?  It may be one of the nicest/classiest moves I've ever seen by a sports team.

In closing I'd like to say congratulations to Taylor, and hopefully, he can play the outfield again.

PS
This is one of the best 'feel good moments' of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment