Monday, June 6, 2011

Man-Law #7: My Bad

I've done it, you've done it, and we'll continue to do it.  That," it", I'm referring to is, "screwing up".

We all make mistakes.  We're human. It's what we do.  Which leads us into today's Man-Law...

Man-Law #7: My Bad

We're not computers; we have the ability to make errors (which is ironic because my computer is freezing on me while typing this).  So when you screw up, just say you made a mistake.

I can't stand watching people covering up mistakes.  They'll think of who else to blame, lie, or make up some sort of half-assed excuse.  When all they have to do is own up to it.

"I'm sorry, I'll do better next time"
"My bad, it's the best I could do"
"I didn't mean that dude, sorry if it pissed you off"

It's that simple.  This way, you don't have to cover up your story, throw anyone under the bus, or come off as a jack ass.

Two groups of people are at fault with this rule; kids and interns.

By kids, I'm talking from toddlers to teenagers.  Slowly as kids are given responsibilities, they don't know how to handle it when they run into a problem.  But that's part of the learning process.

As for interns, I cut then a little less slack.  Sometimes, they fall into childish ways and lie. Again, it's a built in defense mechanism, but they're also getting to an age where they should know better. After being on a job though, even as interns, you need to know better.

As for grown men, well, you need to get donkey kicked in the crotch if you can't understand this concept.  It's safe to say you've worked many jobs over the years, and interacted with many people.  So they have no reason to act like a grown man baby.  NONE!

There is nothing wrong with screwing up and admitting so.  Misleading people though, that's a bigger problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment