Thursday, July 7, 2011

License for stupidity

Most kids grow up with memories of visiting Disney World.  I, apparently, am not most kids.

While others enjoyed the kiddy rides with Mickey, I hung on to my father for dear life on the back of his Harley-Davidson Panhead motorcycle.

"But Monte, that's so dangerous and reckless of your father."

To which I say, "Go fuck yourself.  You don't know what you're talking about."

Motorcycles, ARE, a very safe form of transportation.  It's mostly up to the riders discretion.  Now before I go into my reasons, let me point out someone who hasn't used proper discretion.

Motorcyclist Philip Contos, whom I can only assume was a seasoned rider, was staging a protest to eliminate the law requiring bikers to wear helmets in New York.

In an ironic twist of faith, after the rally, Contos was in an accident.  He lost control of his bike, was ejected from it, and hit his head on the pavement.

Doctors pronounced him dead.

A state trooper later said, "He suffered a skull fracture.  The doctor felt that the death could have been prevented if he simply had been wearing a helmet."

Now a few things.  We live in the land of the free, and obviously have lots of rights.  At the same time, just because we CAN do something, doesn't mean WE SHOULD do something.

Now even though the irony is on full blast with this story, I've heard tons, of similar stories like this.

In one way or another, you have to realize you'll fall at least once on a motorcycle.  It's something you need to accept.  So I don't get why people go completely out of their way for safety.

I don't know how long the anti-helmet rally was.  But I'm pretty sure it lasted much longer than the time it takes to actually put on a helmet.  Due to that fact, I have no remorse for people like that.

Now as I've mentioned earlier, here are some biker points...

- Not all bikes & bikers are the same.  You'll likely see a race bike in an accident over a cruiser.  So you can't categorize all bikes/bikers the same.

- Bikes need to be loud (Harley style).  As annoying as people think they are, they let others know a bike is in the area.

- Just because a bike can go fast doesn't mean it has to.

- Because you have a motorcycle's license, doesn't give you permission to be an idiot.

- Lastly, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PEOPLE...WEAR A DAMN HELMET!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment