Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Path Train Pounder

It's been hot in the northeast.
REALLY HOT.
Combine the heat with the humidity, and it feels well above 100 degrees lately.

No one wants to do anything, especially walk out their door.  A few steps outside and you're dripping in sweat.  The temperature has been affecting everyone in some way or another. 

Personally, it's affected my patience and short fuse.  For others,  their stupidity seems to elevate to all new levels. 

Combine those personalities with alcohol, and well, you have yourself a kick-ass blog.  (literally)

Let me start from the beginning...

It was already 90 degrees when I got up for work on Thursday.  Combine that with a measly three hours of sleep, and I was in the midst of a rough morning.

Work was INSANELY hectic!  Combine that with my trips to Dunkin' Donuts every two hours; I didn't stop moving, or sweating for that matter!

Hours later, I was finally done with work.  I was probably just as excited as I was tired. 

I rushed to the train, meanwhile, it looked like I just got out of a pool.  I was sweating my ass off and just wanted to get home.

Finally I was on the train, but was the air conditioning a relief?  That would be a big no.  The a.c worked sporadically. Now, I could only hope that my connection train was pleasant.

Guess what?  Still no luck!

Still no cool air but it wasn't worth complaining. I was close to being home.  I just closed my eyes, hung onto the railing, and just thought about my a.c. I'd be enjoying in an hour. 

As a song was ending on my iPod, something caught my attention.  A conversation was going on right next to me, and frankly, it wasn't a good one. 

He was doing all the talking, she was the silent/unapproachable one.  Then, after taking a deep breath, I smelled something funny.  It took me a second before I realized what it was.  Without a doubt, it was vodka.  Needless to say, this was a red flag.

The next metal song came up on my iPod.  I lowered it a lot so I could eavesdrop on the conversation.  Even though I was standing there, he didn't even notice me.

"Oh what'cha talkin' about girlie?  You're just my type.  Why won't you let me show you a good time?", he said.  I was shocked and as angry as it was hot.  Suddenly, I couldn't tell the difference between the temperature outside the train, and my anger.

She ignored him.  Looking off into space, pretending she couldn't hear him.  She tried, but when you're 18 or 19 being harassed by someone who looks like they're 30, it only lasts for so long.

Then he says it while grabbing her arm, "Girl are you listening to me or what?

That folks, is a big NO!!!
And also my cue to step in.

I get up next to him to get his attention and say, "Hey, sorry to tell you bud, but she's not interested.  Why don't you try somewhere else when we get off the train?"

At this point I was looking at his hands to see if he might grab a knife or something.  He only wore a t-shirt and shorts, so I wasn't that worried, I just had to stay on my guard.

I figured it was 10 more minutes till our last stop.  Just keep him talking and distracted for 10 minutes.  That's all I have to do.  That's the plan.

"Son, did I ASK, what you think?  Best be back'n off", he said, breath wreaking of liquor.

"Come on man, it's hot, everyone is exhausted, and the girl just wants to be left alone.  So really, let's all just calm down", I said, knowing it wasn't going to help.

Eight minutes.

"I can't believe this bitch ass.  Think I give A FUCK what people feel.  It's all about me.  So you better respect this.". As he points to his chest, thinking he's the king of the world.

"Bro, I'm not sure if that was more douchie or stupid.  No one wants to hear this, the girl is upset, and there's kids right here.  So take it down a notch," I said still standing, and not budging an inch.

Six minutes.

Then he starts yelling, "You disrespect me,  ME!!!  Bitch, you don't know who I am, you don't know who I am.  I'll wreck you."

At this point.  My iPod is getting louder.  The music is fueling my anger.  I wanted him to do something.  She was starting to cry, and I wanted him to learn something.

"Don't start something little man.  You already look like an asshole and you're probably drunk.  So don't!" I said in a stern voice.  Not knowing what would happen next.

Four minutes.

"Make me, you white piece of shit", he said.  As he's saying it, he extends his right arm, begins to try and push me, but as his fingertips barely made contact, I struck the only blow needed.

Three minutes, fuck it, I was never known for being patient.

I grabbed his shirt at the sternum.  I wanted to block his right arm, while keeping him steady.  Meanwhile, his side was wide open, and I quickly cocked my right arm.  I didn't have the space for a full wind-up, but with minimal space, I threw one of the most powerful punches I've ever thrown.

People jumped back, the girl was scared, and he flew backwards.  I punched him in the face between the nose and eye socket.  He hit the train door, and started sliding down.

I saw blood right away, but I didn't relish in the moment.  My first thought was if he had friends on board who might jump me.  Luckily, all I got were high fives from strangers.

He lay on the floor, bleeding, cursing, crying drunk, and I'm sure, in pain.

I looked at the girl, and for some reason, I felt like I had to apologize to her.  Instead she gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek.

One minute till the station.

A million times over she kept saying thank you.  Meanwhile, people are giving me a pat on the back.  I didn't know how to react to this part.  This part was confusing.

He was a mess on the floor and said, "I'm seriously going to fuck you up now!" At which point, I knew I had to chuckle.

Arrival at the station.

She kept saying thank you, guys gave me a high five, and women either smiled or scoffed at me.  We walked around this drunken/broken mess to get off the train.  I heard him yell something, but I ignored it.

I still just wanted to go home to my a.c.

The adrenaline was high at the time, but it was starting to wear off.  I then realized how much danger I put myself in.  Who knew what he could've had on him, or who else he was with.

But I didn't regret it.  I would've done it again with no issue.  We all have mothers, grandmothers, possibly sisters, nieces, daughters, female cousins or friends.  Would you want someone to talk to them that way?  I think not. 

Lastly, think about what respect means.  This guy was throwing it around like it was just another word.  Meanwhile, he doesn't know how to treat a whole entire gender!  Treat people the way you want to be treated, because if you don't, you'll be treated the same way back.  With a punch to the face.

1 comment:

  1. just be happy no one called the cops, you could have spent the night in jail for assault. I dont know if they have AC in jail, though

    ReplyDelete