Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Where'd Superman Go?

He wasn't related by blood, but he was like a grandfather to so many.
This past weekend, one of the greatest men I've ever known, passed away.  That man, is Frank Bruno.
It's hard to just sum him up, but imagine the definition of the 'American Dream',  someone who's there to help you out (even when you don't realize it), and one of the most selfless people on earth.  That my friends, is Frank Bruno.
He was the founder and original scoutmaster for Boy Scout Troop 85 in Union New Jersey.  So it's not farfetched to say he has thousands of kids & grandkids.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen him in a long time.  Make things worse, that last time was at a wake.
I was wondering how he was doing.  He moved to Virginia a while ago, so it was hard staying in touch with him.    Stupid me, I figured I can give him a call whenever, and he'd be around to pick up.
Getting the phone call a few days ago was a punch to the stomach.  It literally knocked the wind out of me.  Now, the last time I can say anything to him, will be at a funeral home.
I dropped the ball badly this time.  I have no excuses, only regrets.  But to anyone reading this, take the following advice: Don't make the same mistake I made!
Not staying in touch with him will be in the back of my mind for a very long time.  Don't take friendships/relationships for granted, because you never know how long that person will be around.
I really don't think i can say enough nice things about him.  All I can say is that everyone deserves to have a Frank Bruno in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment