Sunday, August 21, 2011

Come Out & Play


 The calendar is about to turn again.  Quickly, fall will be upon us, and the summertime will be nothing more than a distant memory.  Baseball is winding down, with football around the corner, families are trying to go on one more getaway and kids are getting ready to go back to school.

On Sundays, I like to get things done around the house, and catch up on my to-do list.  Purposely, I planned a mid-day run, just to break up with the monotony.

Sadly, she doesn't run near my block.
I don't belong to a gym.  In fact, I would never sign up for one during summer.  I'd rather workout in my house, and go outside running.  A treadmill can't duplicate mother nature.  No matter what any flashy advertisement shows.

I was actually excited to lace up my shoes, stretch in the driveway, and go on a 3 mile run.  It was me and my iPod.  Just enjoying the moment.  Quickly though, I realized something.  It literally was just me and my iPod.

Throughout my whole entire run, I didn't see one kid running around or playing outside.  Not even one!  Tell you the truth, I can't even remember the last time I saw kids playing in the neighborhood.  

They're being quiet.  So that makes it ok?
Now don't get me wrong.  I wasn't outside every living second of my child hood.  Nintendo and cartoons took up my time.  However, I vividly remember going on my bike to find my friends, and playing rounds of basketball.

Bad parenting at its finest, or worst.
Now, the kids of today can simply find each other on Facebook, or play sports against each other over Nintendo or XboX.  More kids are getting softer, and all some parents like to do is brush it off, or blame McDonalds.  

Thank god this isn't my dad!
Obviously I don't think every kid or family has this problem.  Yet it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure this one out.  Child hood obesity is rising, diabetes are happening at a much earlier age, and no one seems to know why.  Maybe if they just looked outside the window, and see the empty streets or parks, they'll see the connection.  On days I should've been outside, my dad always dragged me out for a game of catch.  Didn't seem like much, but it's the best thing he could've done!

That's why I'll continue to lace up my sneakers, and hit the pavement.  One day, I'll make sure my kid is there for the run with me.

1 comment: