Wednesday, August 10, 2011

YAY! I'm Alive

Exactly two years ago I prayed like I never prayed before.While going 60 mph on the Garden State Parkway...my car decided to stall on me...causing me to fishtail across the highway. It's funny. When you're doing 360's across a major highway, and you think you're about to die, you're able to re-prioritize you're whole life.

As I held onto the wheel for dear life (literally) I prayed. As loud as possible and with complete concentration. "God...please do whatever you have to do so I survive this". Over and over again.

I still don't know how I wasn't t-boned, or how my car didn't flip over. The whole ordeal was probably 20-25 seconds, but it felt like forever. As I was about to hit the rail on the shoulder...I was rear-ended by a civic.
End result...stiff neck...screwed up my back...bent frame and cracked rear axel.

But as soon as my truck stopped moving from the collision...I did something unexpectedly. I laughed. Not a chuckle. Not a smirk. But a full out knee slapping kind of laugh. For anyone this is strange or flat out ridiculous.

After months of complaining and being miserable with a shitty ex-girlfriend...dealing with shitty work hours...and feeling like I'm getting a raw deal...I realized something.

At that time...Not only did I realize how lucky I am, but I realized how unbelievably lucky I was!!! I have good friends, family and health. So what else do I really need? Weeks later I had to go to the bank to deal with paper work. My insurance didn't cover everything...so I had to pay out $1,500. As I was smiling and happily signing the paper work the banker stopped me. She said, "Mr. Monte I need to ask. You're spending almost 2-grand on nothing. Why are you so happy?" My response was simple and easy. "When you pray to God to survive something...signing over $1,500 is a pretty good swap". She smiled and agreed.

When you're crying like a baby ask yourself, whatever you’re upset about...does it affect your friends, family or health? Because if it doesn't, chances are you need to calm down since it's not that important.


No comments:

Post a Comment