Tuesday, September 6, 2011

GET INK, WHILE AT THE RINK

I'm not sure why people give it a hard time, but it's so much fun going to a hockey game. It's hard hitting, fast paced action, that's great for all ages. When the Stanley Cup playoffs come around, well, it's pretty hard to beat that.

Can you find me?
Yet, hockey is always looked down upon, by people who barely give it a try.  As a long time New Jersey Devils fan, I don't understand the disinterest in it at all.

At the same time, I've grown up around tattoos and bikers. I can remember quite a few tattoo parlor afternoons as a kid. To me, tattoos were just a part of life.  I just don't understand why it's so taboo.

This may seem like two random stories.  So here's where I tie'em together.

The NHL team, the New York Islanders, will now have an official tattoo shop.  'Tattoo Lou's' is officially the first tattoo parlor to have a sponsorship with a professional sports franchise.  Lou's will have a tattoo & body piercing set-up at 10 Islanders games, at the Nassau Coliseum, this upcoming season.

Lou Rubino, President of Tattoo Lou’s said, “This is another victory for the tattoo industry. For a long time, tattoos were frowned upon, but now, we’ve become more and more mainstream. One of the main things I love about this partnership is the history the Islanders have. My dad opened his first shop in 1958. We’re a part of Long Island history just like the Islanders.”

This is a win-win situation here.  Instead of a main stream product like Nike or Gatorade, a small mom & pop establishment is getting the spotlight.  This obviously helps Lou's, and makes the Islanders look good.

Now some people will frown upon tattoos and piercings in general. I’m also sure that those same people are uneducated on the process and the industry.  Like anything, there's a right and wrong way to go about anything. 

Tattoo shops are cleaner, run in a much higher regard and are much safer.  True, there are still shitty ones out there, but that’s when you need to do your homework.  You can't just walk into any shop. 

I really hope this helps out Lou’s, and also happens for more teams. 

Lastly, I’d like to point out one more thing for the naysayers.  If all sporting events offer beer or hard liquor, why should tattoos be held differently?  Last I checked, it’s more dangerous after drinking too much, compared to having to many tattoos or piercings.

1 comment:

  1. so if the islanders weren't white trash enough...

    ReplyDelete