Tuesday, October 25, 2011

POSSIBLE LAST CALL FOR JACK DANIEL'S

Hello.  My name is Nick, and I like to drink. 

Even as I'm typing this story up, I have a preferred beverage with me.  What can I say?  I love some good ol' American whiskey.

Jack Daniel’s whiskey to be precise.

Now don't misunderstand.  I don't drink it every night, and I would never get behind a wheel of a car if I've had one too many.  It's just my go to drink to kick back and relax.

Yeah, I have a few JD shirts, but I don't go nuts over the stuff (as awesome as it is).

I like whiskey!!!
What does drive me nuts, is what's happening to the company.

JD is being hit with something I'd like to call a "how dare you be successful tax".

The whiskey distiller is from a small town in Tennessee called Lynchburg.  A town that's been dry since prohibition, but has produced top shelf whiskey for about 100 years.

A third of Lynchburg is employed by the company, and it is a staple in the community.  Unfortunately, that community is also looking for more revenue.

This needs to be my ride
So the good folks of this town want to add a tax on every barrel of whiskey that's produced, and sold.  See, every bottle of Jack Daniels is heavily taxed at 60%, and reduces the company’s profit margin.

The tax will add almost four cents to a bottle of Jack.  It may not sound like much, but multiply that with hundreds of millions of bottles sold, and it adds up to $4 million dollars a year.

General Manager of JD, Tommy Beam sums it up all in a quote by saying, "A person used to look at a successful person and say ‘now, what do I have to do to become like that?’ Whereas now, they might look at him and say, ‘what can I do to get what they’ve got.’”

The home of Jack Daniel's
Even though JD is a well known American distillery, it's also competing in a global market.  It’s going to be hard to compete with $4 million dollars disappearing into thin air. Meanwhile, the company was able to hire 25-30 people over the last 5 months.  Last time I checked, you don't want profits to shrink if you want to avoid layoffs or a hiring freeze.

Residents of the town say JD owes them this tax, basically under principle.

Excuse me while I roll on the floor laughing.

A dry county that has no problem making money of Jack.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok, I'm back, now that I got that out of my system. 

The only think Jack Daniel's owes you, is a paycheck, if you're an employee.  Nothing more, nothing less.  First off, I need to say what hypocrites this town is, specifically the town officials. You continue to enforce a no alcohol ban on your town, but you’re ok with the distillery.  Such hypocrites.  Maybe if you allowed bars to open, and serve alcohol, you can earn more tax revenues that way.  Less restrictions equals more growth.  I’m not sure why this is so hard.

Instead, the hard working people at Jack Daniels need to fix the towns spending woes.  Sad, just very sad.  Even though they’ve been in the town for so long, I would have no problems with them moving elsewhere.  You put so many restrictions on anyone, and sooner or later, they’re just going to leave.  This little town needs to grow up.

1 comment:

  1. How about a "no-tax" on HydroCarbon(s) through out the United States and Territories by order of the President. Like a Bull in a China Shop, that woud go over well, till Congress found out what HydroCarbon's are.

    ReplyDelete