Thursday, November 17, 2011

PETA IS KILLING MY CHILDHOOD

Have to admit.  I was never much of an animal person growing up.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I was trying to kill squirrels in the backyard. We were just a family who didn’t have, nor care, for having animals in the house.  At the same time, if I ever saw anyone hurting a dog or anything, in no way would I let it continue. 

Other people though, they seem to love their animals more than humans.  Hey, it’s a free country, do what you want.  It may not make sense to me that every town has a crazy cat lady, but so be it.

I’m indifferent to having a pet, but the one thing I know I’ve had hatred towards, is PETA.


People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, aren’t what I would call, “all there”.  Maybe because they seem to go, a little overboard at times, with their commitment towards animals.

Now yes, PETA has done lots of good.  They’ve helped many animals find a safe/loving home, and help protest/stop experimental animal cruelty.  That, I don’t have a problem with.

It’s the over-the-top cries for public attention I can’t stand.

They had a problem with the way Tommy Lee Jones held the pug in Men In Black.  They went bat shit crazy when NBA star Manu Ginobili swatted an actual bat, which flew onto the court, during a game. However, probably the craziest thing I know off hand, is the fact PETA didn’t expect President Obama to even hurt a fly.  No literally.  When the president swatted a fly during a CNBC interview, PETA had to speak out on it!

Now, they’re attacking someone very close to me.  Someone I’ve grown up with as far as I can remember.  That person, is Mario, from the Mario Brothers.


I shit you not.  The animal rights group has the following statement on their site…

“When on a mission to rescue the princess, Mario has been known to use any means necessary to defeat his enemy—even wearing the skin of a raccoon dog to give him special powers.
Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur. By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur. Play Super Tanooki Skin 2D and help Tanooki reclaim his fur!”

 After reading that little intro, you're invited to play a ripp off of Mario Mario Brothers 3 looking game.  Except, it looks more like Mario met a pyscho killer!




You then control the raccoon dog, and have to chase a flying Mario, in order

to get your skin back.  All while a gruesome/bloody/hell bent world is going on around you. 


Then, when you finally catch Mario, the following image pops up.


Yup, “#$*! YOU MARIO!” is in the middle of the screen.  Now remember, the introduction of the game claims that Mario is sending the wrong message.  I’m pretty sure that PETA is sending the wrong message in so many ways.

First off, look at the environment PETA created in this game.  They took a classic Nintendo character, and literally incorporated hell into his game play.  Kids can easily find this.  They’re smarter than people give them credit for.  If some kid found this (because you know they did), how happy would a parent be?  My guess, they’d be livid.  Especially after the end screen.  As if kids, or anyone, doesn’t know the message is “fuck you Mario”

Secondly, this game (Mario Brothers 3) came out in 1990.  Kids born that year are now legal to drink, so why NOW, does PETA care about it?  Is it because they’re all technologically impaired and only now coming around to classic video games?  HAHA…not at all.  It’s because some ass in a board room thought it would be a great way to get their name in the news.  The idea probably went like this. 

 “Let’s take a classic character that people love, make him look like the devil, piss on people’s happy childhood memories, make it interactive, and success!!!  People are talking about PETA in some way.”

Finally, look at the way they depict Mario at the side of the screen.  A vicious looking person, holding a raccoon head.

Now as an Italian American from Brooklyn, I can claim that PETA is trying to depict my background in a negative light.  But you know what?  I’m not going to. 

You can’t fight ignorant craziness.  It would be an ongoing, losing battle.   So I brush it off, because what they say, has no real impact on anyone with half a brain.

PETA will do a lot of good from here on out.  Sadly, they’re also going to do a lot of stupid things to get their message out there. I have a feeling that one day they’re going to go too far.  As a result, they’ll lose their following, and the original goal to help animals will fall by the wayside.  Here’s to hoping.
 
On a personal note, I may not like PETA very much, but I sure as hell like them more than Michael Vick.

No comments:

Post a Comment