Tuesday, May 15, 2012

PASSING OF A BEASTIE BOY


I’ve played in punk & rock bands for an extremely long time. For years though, I always get an inquisitive look from people, when I told them the Beastie Boys are my favorite band.

Yes, I love Metal.
Yes, I love Broadway shows.
Yes, I love Jazz clubs.

It sounds like a cliché, but you never forget your first love.

When I was a young kid in Brooklyn, my older cousin lived with us.  At the time, I thought he was the coolest person in the world.  He realized I was taking an interest in his music. So when he received two CD’s of the same album, he gave one to me.  That album was the Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill.

Thank God I still have this album.  It’s a total mess from being in the hands of a small me, but that’s what makes it so special.

Since then, I grew to love more of The Beastie Boys work passed Licensed to Ill, and to enjoy other musicians.  Then something great happened.  While listening to the Beasties music one day, I was baffled.

I was trying to figure out how two songs were constructed.  For the life of me, I couldn’t tell how the songs Gratitude & Sabotage were played.  Luckily, with this new fangled thing called ‘the internet’, along with musically inclined friends, I learned the bass guitar with effects, created the precise tones I was looking for. 


These guys couldn’t do anything wrong in my opinion.
-       They were underdogs by being Jewish rappers.
-       They’re from Brooklyn…just like yours truly.
-       They kept on proving people wrong with the music they put out.
-       Seeing them in concert was an amazing highlight.
-       Oh, and their music was just FUN to listen to!!!


I looked up to Mike Diamond (Mike D), Adam Horovitz (Ad-Rock) & Adam Yauch (MCA).  However, I always liked MCA just a little more.  It’s because of him that I play bass guitar, and how can you not admire someone that was such an influence in the Tibetan Freedom Concert?  I’ll tell you who.  Cancer.

MCA was taken way too early from us. 

Cancer is a heartless bitch that doesn’t give a shit.  It causes destruction and leaves a trail of misery. 

Luckily, cancer can’t take away the memories of an amazing person.

R.I.P. MCA

No comments:

Post a Comment