Monday, September 3, 2012

DAMN KIDS AND THEIR COMIC BOOK COLLECTING WAYS


I’m turning 30 this month.  So I’m hearing a lot of old man jokes.  Going gray since you were 13 doesn’t help either.

My very first comic ASM 362 &
ASM 16 autographed by Stan Lee
Another fact about me when I was a little Monte; I’ve been an avid comic collector/reader. At my height, I probably owned 5,500 comics.  That’s over a long time of collecting by the way.  Not a night of drunken credit card shopping.  I went through a period of just reading graphic novels (reprints of the collection bounded into a single book).  Books were getting too expensive, so I was looking to save some money.  Lately though, I’ve been getting back into the grind of collecting the comics themselves.

That being said.  Here’s my old man rant on a nerdy topic. 

Ready?  Here goes…

People, mostly young  collectors though, don’t understand part of the magic and fun that is comic collecting anymore.

You may recall, but there was a time when we didn’t have the internet and smartphones.  I know that’s a harsh reality for younger readers, but it’s true.  So if we wanted to build a comic collection, we actually had to get off of our asses and do something about it. 

A recent lot of books I picked up at
a local flea market
You can gasp in the horror if you feel it’s necessary. 

I’d go to Comic book stores near and far…flea markets…comic conventions…and a personal favorite…church basement swap meets.

Having to hunt down the comics you needed was simply part of the fun.  Furthermore, it gave you a sense of accomplishment.  Looking at your collection sitting on the shelf felt so much better knowing you worked to get them.

Today, well today is a different breed of collectors.  People are all too willing to just go on eBay, or some other sort of site to just buy the comics they want.  Could be a few issues, or a complete series run.  The hunt just isn’t there anymore.

Most (not all) people want to just buy the books, and throw’em up on the shelf.  The ‘sense of accomplishment’ is just gone for most people. 

Now don’t get me wrong.  I’m not totally blasting sites like eBay and the internet as a whole here. 
YEAH!!!

Shopping sites help keep prices in check by making sellers be more competitive.  It can help inflate prices at times, but for the most part, they help keep’em in check.  Also, let me say that I usually use shopping sites to collect mini-series (These are individual story lines, outside the main titles). Missing an issue in a 4-6 issue storyline can be a nightmare to find.  So I’ll admit, I’ll buy something here and there if the case may be. 

Now let me not forget a very important part of the internet that plays into collecting.  The very important price guide that you can reach at anytime.   I don’t have to go into detail here, but you never want to get ripped off.  No matter where you shop. 

Alas, people use this as an excuse to just get their whole entire collection.  The hunt, for the most part, is all gone.  People are just ‘know it all’ smart ass kids.  Harsh?  Perhaps.  Honesty? Fuck yeah!

Me with the honorable Generalissimo!
No one wants to be told what to do.  That’s understandable.  Not listening to someone’s advice who’s a seasoned veteran…well that’s just makes them an ass hat. 

I don’t see this changing anytime soon.  Unless it’s suddenly legal for me to punch someone in the face for just cause.  Ball’s in your court Mr. President, or perhaps I should call, the Generalissimo!!!

2 comments: