Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Thanks For Everything Harold Ramis


For a few weeks straight I was really burnt out; between work, trying to help people with favors, family and life in general ... I was fried.

This past Friday, I came home drunk after another long week. I really don't drink much ... and I was with friends (so no booze jokes!)

My favorite fan art so far.
When I got home, I did something that I have done once a month since my childhood.

Watch Ghostbusters. 

I've watched it a million times. Without a doubt, it's my all-time favorite movie. As always ... I laughed just as hard as I did the first time as a kid while reciting the lines of the movie.

The love for Ghostbusters, like most people my age (31) will agree, started with the cartoon.

It didn’t matter what other cartoon may have been on ... I'd always tune to the channel that was showing Ghostbusters.

I don't remember exactly at what age, but my dad was the one to introduce me to the Ghostbusters movie ... and it was love at first sight.

Granted ... I laughed for different reasons then, than I do now (which means all the wrong reasons.) For one, the "funny face" Dan Akroyd made when the ghost took his pants off ... but it already made a mark on my impressionable mind.

The quotes ... the comedy ... the action ... the New York City setting ... Mr. Stay Puft ... PROTON PACKS ... What's not to love?!?!


Without a doubt ... Ghostbusters has treated me extremely well over the years.

Then, the bad news on Monday, February 24th

Harold Ramis ... Egon ... the man who helped create those fun loving memories of my childhood, which carried on into my adulthood ... passed away.

First time I ever got sad watching this movie
I've talked about (and often quoted) Ghostbusters at work. Most know how much I love the films. So when I walked back into the newsroom after getting lunch, my boss was sad and a bit nervous to tell me what crossed the wires.

"Nick, I have some bad news for you…” she said with a grim look on her face, and an anticipation of the sadness to come from my direction. "We got word that Egon just died".

It took a solid five seconds for it to register.
Then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

I had a miniature freak-out and didn't want to believe the news.
But there it was, as clear as day on the wire sheet.

The Tribeca firehouse put out
the old GB sign in memory of Ramis
"Actor, writer and director Harold Ramis dies at 69."

Ramis has been apart of some major comedy movies besides Ghostbusters. The man was a comedy genius. It's just a fact.

He helped me laugh when I was pissed.
He helped create great friendships by being the topic of conversation.
He made me forget the problems of everyday life.
Simply put ... he made life better.

I know it's not just me. I know others feel the same way.

The role he played in 2007's "Knocked Up" showed the long lasting affect he had on people. People smiled and said, "Awesome! It’s Egon!" as they saw his face come on the screen.

In mere hours after his death I found amazing fan made pictures in remembrance of Ramis.

As I am writing this I am watching Ghostbusters at the same time. 
And for the first time ever ... I'm sad watching my favorite movie.

Maybe getting chocked up is a good thing.
It's helping me reflect on all of those memories, all of the laughter, and all of the times I wasn't able to laugh.

For years ... check that ... decades ... he had people laughing their asses off in theaters. He may not be around anymore, but people will continue to laugh at some of the greatest comedy movies ever produced.

All thanks to him.

Thank you Harold.

I hope someone is taking care of your spores, mold and fungus collection.




No comments:

Post a Comment